The Teaching and Learning Center Student Tech Support staff assist students with a variety of technical queries such as login questions, e-mail account sign-in, navigation in an online course, myRichland access and navigation, and technical questions regarding personal computer systems requirements and troubleshooting. Staff members provide technical support through email, drop-in assistance, appointments, and telephone.
Technical Support Request
The best way for students to get “general” technical help from the Teaching and Learning Center Student Tech Support is to email us at email@example.com. Our email is monitored throughout the workday, as well as evenings, weekends, and holidays. A staff member will contact you within 12 hours of your submission, with a quicker response time during normal business hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Summer hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Canvas “Help” Link
The quickest way to get assistance with Canvas issues is to click on the “Help” Link on the left when logged into Canvas, and then choose “Report a Problem.” The information submitted is immediately forwarded to us and is monitored throughout the workday, as well as evenings and weekends. A staff member will contact you within 12 hours of your submission evenings and weekends, with a quicker response time during the normal business hours of 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Summer hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you are on campus and require technical assistance, the staff is available during normal business hours of 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Student Tech Support is located in W143. Summer hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Make an Appointment
If normal business hours do not fit into your schedule or you need additional help beyond walk-in assistance, contact Teaching and Learning Center Student Tech Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 875-7211, ext. 6376, to set up an appointment with a member of the staff.
Call the Help Desk
Student Tech Support may be reached at (217) 875-7211, ext. 6376, Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. If no one is available to take your call, please leave a message and your call will be returned no later than the next business day. Summer hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Home Computer Requirements
Before beginning your online course(s), your computer needs to be up-to-date with the appropriate hardware and software requirements. Your home computer needs to have the following:
- Operating System: Windows 7or higher or MAC OSX or higher
- Network connection: Broadband, DSL, or Wireless high-speed connection
- Browser Plug-ins:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Anti-virus Software: Keep virus definitions updated and scan your computer on a regular basis.
- Note: It is strongly recommended that only one anti-virus program be used on your computer; if more than one is used, they will conflict with each other and cause problems.
- Spyware Removal Software: Keep spyware/malware/adware definitions updated and scan your computer on a regular basis.
- Application Software: Richland Community College uses Microsoft Office, which include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- If you do not have Microsoft Office: Office 2007 and 2010 documents are not compatible with older versions of Office (2000, XP, or 2003). However, there is a free “Compatibility Pack” available from Microsoft, that once installed on your home computer, will allow you to open Office 2007 & 2010 documents.
- If you do not have Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office is FREE for currently registered students through the Microsoft Student Advantage Program. Students should go to https://jics.richland.edu/MicrosoftStudentAdvantage/ and register for the program.
- Note: Microsoft Office is free for students as long as they are currently registered at Richland. Once they are no longer a Richland student, they will not have access to the free program.