Students should apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ). Some aid, such as the State of Illinois MAP grant, have limited funds. Students who apply early have a much better chance of obtaining all the assistance for which they might be eligible.
Before You Apply
- Make sure you have completed the Richland Community College admission form.
- Set up a Federal Student Aid ID online at fsaid.ed.gov so that you can electronically sign your FAFSA
- If you are providing parent information, one of your parents must also sign the FAFSA. To sign electronically, your parent will need an FSA ID.
- Gather information to apply. You may utilize the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet available at www.fafsa.gov.
- Richland Community College’s federal code is 010879.
Follow Up on Your FAFSA
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) by mail or email. The SAR shows you the information that was entered on the FAFSA. Check for any errors and submit corrections on the FAFSA website or visit the Financial Aid Office for assistance.
- Richland Community College will email you at the email address listed on the FAFSA outlining the next steps in the financial aid process.
- If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you will be required to submit additional documentation to the Financial Aid Office. Students selected for verification are required to provide a copy of their federal tax return transcript or utilize the “Link to IRS” feature on www.fafsa.gov to import federal tax return data.To obtain a tax transcript, visit the IRS office located at 306 W. Eldorado, Decatur, IL, call 1-800-908-9946, or visit irs.gov. Please note that ordering a transcript online will take approximately 5-10 business days for processing.