Applying for Financial Aid
Students should apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ). Many programs administered by the Financial Aid Office have limited funds. Students who apply early have a much better chance of obtaining all the assistance for which they might be eligible.
You may also visit the Office of Financial Aid in room C129 to receive assistance appying for your FAFSA.
Before You Apply
- Make sure you have completed the Richland Community College admission form.
- Browse the Federal Student Aid Gateway
Get a PIN, a personal identification number. www.pin.ed.gov
If you are providing parent information, one of your parents must also sign the FAFSA. To sign electronically, your parent will need a PIN. Do I need parent Information?
- Gather information to apply. You may utilize the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet available at www.fafsa.gov.
Completing your FAFSA
- Complete the FAFSA online.
- Put a response for all fields. Refer to the "Help & Hints" box for guidance.
- Richland Community College's federal code is 010879.
- Submit your FAFSA. Keep your confirmation number. It tells you that your FAFSA was submitted successfully.
Follow Up on Your FAFSA
- You will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) by mail or email. Check for any errors and correct on FAFSA website or in the financial aid office.
- If you do not hear from the Department of Education within 3 weeks, go to www.fafsa.gov and login to check the status of your FAFSA.
- Richland Community College will send a letter outlining the next step after the Financial Aid Office receives your processed FAFSA.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you will be required to submit additional documentation to the Financial Aid Office. Students selected for verification are required to provide a copy of their federal tax return transcript or utilize the "Link to IRS" feature on www.fafsa.gov to import federal tax return data.
To obtain a tax transcript, visit the IRS office located at 306 W. Eldorado, Decatur, IL, call 1-800-908-9946, or visit https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do.
Please note that ordering a transcript online will take approximately 5-10 business days for processing. When ordering online, request a "return transcript," not an "account transcript." If your parents filed jointly, you will need to enter the social security number, date of birth, and name for the primary tax payer (generally, the person listed first on the tax return).