SHIELD Testing Program
SHIELD testing is a saliva-based COVID-19 PCR test developed by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
SHIELD testing is FREE, non-invasive, and provides quicker results than most PCR tests.
SHIELD Illinois COVID-19 Testing at Richland Community College
Location: West Wing of Campus: W167. Parking is available in Parking Lot A.
- Monday 9am-5:30pm
- Tuesday 9am-2pm
- Wednesday 9am-2pm
- Thursday 9am-5:30pm
- Friday 9am-2pm
- Saturday – Closed
- Sunday – Closed
- Richland Community College Agency Code for Employees: rcc
- Richland Community College Agency Code for Students: rcc
- Agency Code for Community Members: df5brbrj
Appointments are recommended, but walk-ins are accepted.
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: What you should do before testing
- Hydrate! Drink water up to 30 minutes prior to testing. Dehydration makes it harder to produce saliva.
- Then … don’t eat, drink (including water) or smoke for 30 minutes before you test! Also avoid tooth brushing, mouth washing, and gum chewing for at least 30 minutes before submitting your saliva sample at the test location.
- Mask up and bring your photo ID. When entering the testing location, you should wear a mask and practice social distancing.
Download the app:
The test is FREE!
Testing Location and Parking
SHIELD testing is located at West Wing: W167 at the Richland Main Campus. Parking is available in Parking Lot A and signage will help direct you.
Test results will typically be available within 24 hours of the test and communicated to Richland authorized staff and the individual who was tested. You will receive a text and/or email from SHIELD Illinois when your results have posted.
Please note: Saturday test results may not be complete until Monday evening due to lab operating hours.
You can request an exemption from testing if you have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 90 days or if you are a student that is 100% online with no face-to-face classes. Documentation will be required to process the requests, and the exemption can be revoked as a student’s course modality changes.
We’re happy to advise that SHIELD Illinois technology enforces systematic security access controls which protects electronically collected participant information and results data from unauthorized access or harm.
In addition, mandatory privacy training, periodic security awareness, and procedural physical safeguards in place help to mitigate the risk of SHIELD Illinois authorized personnel from mishandling or abusing of samples for purposes other than reporting mandated data to the state health department. As such, unauthorized (3rd) parties aren’t allowed to use samples or access personal info of SHIELD Illinois participants.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
Looking for more information about COVID-19? Visit: http://covid.gov