These resources will help you through your academic journey at Richland Community College
Online Learning Resources
- Online Learning Help Desk
- Online Learning Frequently Asked Questions
- Remote Support Tool – use only if instructed to do so by Help Desk staff
- Hardware & Software Requirements for the Canvas Learning Management System
There are a lot of useful free or open-source programs and utilities available on the Web for online students. Listed below are links to some of them:
- Support Details – online scan of your computer to tell you what version of operating system and software you are running to assist tech support in helping resolve a problem.
- WinZip – a program to zip and unzip files
- CutePDF – This program allows you to create PDF files from almost any printable document
- Floola – iPod or mobile phone manager for iTunes
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- NOTE: Be sure to UNCHECK the “Optional Offers” before installing the Reader program!
- WordWeb – WordWeb is a good thesaurus/dictionary resource; it shows pronunciations, definitions, synonyms, and anyonyms of words; also, it gives examples of how the word can be used as a noun, verb, adjective, and/or adverb.
- PhotoScape Image Editor – Photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance photos
- Adobe Flash
- NOTE: Be sure to UNCHECK the “Optional Offers” before installing the program!
- Codecs.com Media Player Classic – Alternative to Windows Media Player
- Codecs.com RealPlayer Alternative – Alternative to RealPlayer
- Malwarebytes – free spyware and malware scanner program
- Spybot Search and Destroy – spyware and malware scanner program
- Emsisoft Emergency Kit – not a preventative software program; a diagnostic scanner program for computers that have spyware/malware on them.
Hardware & Software Requirements for the Canvas Learning Management System
You must be signed up with an Internet Service Provider (ISP) in order to access the Internet from home. Be sure to choose a provider that permits you to use a Web browser.. Some providers require the use of their own proprietary browser; these browsers may not provide all the functionality needed for your online course(s). If you are using a provider like this (for example, AOL), you must minimize that program and use an alternate Web browser to access Canvas.
The Internet browsers that work the best with Canvas are Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari. To download and of these browsers for free, please refer to “Browsers” in the “Downloads” page above
If you do not have home Internet access
For persons without home internet access, the following options are available:Computers are available on Richland’s campus in many locations:
- Learning Resource Center (Library)
- Open Computer Lab (C150)
- Accademic Success Center (C148)
- Richland Wireless Access on Campus (if you have a laptop with wireless capability)
Home Computer Requirements
Before beginning your online course(s), your computer needs to be up-to-date with the appropriate hardware and software requirements. Your home computer needs to have the following:
- Operating System: Windows 7or higher or MAC OSX or higher
- Network connection: Broadband, DSL, or Wireless high-speed connection
- Browser Plug-ins:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Anti-virus Software: Keep virus definitions updated and scan your computer on a regular basis.
- Note: It is strongly recommended that only one anti-virus program be used on your computer; if more than one is used, they will conflict with each other and cause problems.
- Spyware Removal Software: Keep spyware/malware/adware definitions updated and scan your computer on a regular basis.
- Application Software: Richland Community College uses Microsoft Office, which include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- If you do not have Microsoft Office: Office 2007 and 2010 documents are not compatible with older versions of Office (2000, XP, or 2003). However, there is a free “Compatibility Pack” available from Microsoft, that once installed on your home computer, will allow you to open Office 2007 & 2010 documents.
- If you do not have Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office is FREE for currently registered students through the Microsoft Student Advantage Program. Students should go to https://jics.richland.edu/MicrosoftStudentAdvantage/ and register for the program.
- Note: Microsoft Office is free for students as long as they are currently registered at Richland. Once they are no longer a Richland student, they will not have access to the free program.