50 Years of Changing Lives
Richland Community College is celebrating it’s 50th Anniversary in 2022-2023!
In 1972, the doors opened to the Community College of Decatur in a converted bank building in downtown Decatur. After undergoing a name change in 1975, moving through three locations, and graduating thousands of students, Richland Community College is eager to celebrate its 50th Anniversary with you. In the next few months you will be reminded of (or perhaps learn for the first time) the continued impact on the communities Richland serves.
Richland graduates have taught you and your children in our local schools, have tended to you in hospitals, doctors’ offices, and skilled care facilities, have fixed your cars and trucks at area garages, and have met your needs in other businesses throughout the District. We are looking forward to addressing opportunities for careers that we had not imagined in 1972.
Watch for special events, news stories, and photo features that showcase the past, the present, and the future of Richland Community College. If you have questions or are interested in a campus tour, contact Loren McGinnis at the contact below.
50th Anniversary Events
Click to learn more about each event!
- 50 Ways of Wellness Challenge: Thursday, September 8, 2022 – Friday, October 28, 2022
- Welcome Back Picnic: Saturday, September 17, 2022. 3-6 PM
- Founders Day Gala: Saturday, October 22, 2022, 6 PM in the Shilling Salons
- Open House: Tuesday, November 15, 2022
- Richland Gives Back Day: Thursday, February 2, 2023 – Friday, February 3, 2023
- 50 Days of Wellness Walking Challenge: Monday, February 13, 2023 – Tuesday, April 4, 2023
- State of the College: Wednesday, April 12, 2023, 12 PM in the Shilling Salons
- 50th Commencement Ceremony: Friday, May 19, 2023, 7 PM at the Decatur Civic Center
Hear the stories of the influential people who have been a part of Richland’s success here!
Our Campus History
Learn about the Richland Community College Campus here!
Contact Our Team
Annual Giving & Alumni Engagement Coordinator