Frequently Asked Questions for Students Transferring from Richland to Other Institutions

What degrees will transfer to other institutions?

The AA (Associate in Art), AS (Associate in Science), AFA (Associate in Fine Arts) and AES (Associate in Engineering Science) and the AAT (Associate of Arts in Teaching) are considered transfer degrees. These degrees are equatable to the freshman/sophomore year at a four-year university*. You would work towards one of these degrees if your goal is to obtain a four-year (Bachelor's) degree.

*It is important and very helpful for students to know what university they plan to attend for completion of their junior/senior years. This assists counselors or advisoris in developing the right courses to be included in a program of study.

What is the difference between the A.A. (Associate in Art), A.S. (Associate in Science), A.E.S. (Associate in Engineering Science), A.F.A. (Associate in Fine Arts), and A.A.T. (Associate of Arts in Teaching) degrees?

The AA requires more hours in Humanities/Fine Arts and Social Sciences. The AS requires more hours in Math. The AES requires a student to take a specified program of study to prepare for a degree in engineering. The AFA requires a student to take a specified program of study to prepary for a degree in the specialized arts area. The AAT is specifically designed for those who are planning to transfer to an institution to complete a degree in education.

For more information on these degrees, follow the links below:

What is an area of concentration?

This is a suggested sequence of courses in a student's proposed major area of study; for example: Accounting, Business, Engineering, Education, and Pre-Professional programs. Many areas have courses suggested for them. In all cases, you should consult with a representative from the institution in which you plan to transfer as well as a counselor or advisor at Richland Community College.

How do I know my classes will transfer to a senior college?

The key is to work closely with counselors and/or academic advisors. You should also be in contact with a representative from the school to which you intend to transfer. Richland Community College does provide a resource directory of representatives at the schools many of our students transfer to as well as a course substitution guide.

Where do I go for help to transfer to another institution?

The Transfer Center is located in C129.  You can stop by during regular office hours or call (217) 875-7211, ext. 252 or 253 for assistance.

Tips For A Successful Transfer To A Senior College or University

Review the Richland Community College graduation requirements for an AA or AS degree.

  1. Discuss your transfer plans with a counselor or advisor who can help you meet transfer and Richland Community College graduation requirements.
  2. Some specialized majors may require special courses not available at Richland Community College, you may need to transfer early. Visit the Transfer Center, located in C129, to see how your classes will transfer.
  3. Identify two or three colleges that interest you after considering some of the following factors: Programs of study, General location, Size, Atmosphere, Graduate placement, Admission requirements, and Cost.
  4. Plan visits to the college(s) you are interested in.
  5. Complete your application early for admissions, housing, and financial aid.
  6. Complete an academic transcript request form and have it sent to the college(s) of your choice. (There is a charge of $3.00 per request*).
  7. Have your transcripts evaluated and your academic record evaluated by the Coordinator of Admissions and Records.
  8. Complete a financial aid transcript request form and return it to Richland Community College's financial aid department.
  9. Follow up on your Admission Information Form and evaluation of transfer credits. If you have questions or problems, let the appropriate people at the institution know.
  10. Enjoy your transfer to your new school.

*Price subject to change without notice.