Prospective Online Students
Getting Started – Admission to Richland
Welcome to Richland! We are so glad you’ve made this choice. Getting started with classes at Richland is easy. Just follow these steps.
- 1. Fill out our Admission Information Form and get your Student ID Number. (You will need your student ID number to register for classes and to activate your NetID.)
- 2. Have your transcripts sent to Richland. If applicable, also have your ACT scores sent to Richland.
- 3. Do your Placement Testing - if required.
- 4. Apply for Financial Aid - if needed.
Registering for Classes (online, hybrid, and web-enhanced classes)
- 1. Complete the Admission Process.
- 2. Apply for Financial Aid - if needed.
- 3. Register for classes. - see "How to Register" below
- 4. Pay your tuition and fees. - 100% of tuition and fees is due two weeks before classes begin.
- 5. Visit the Bookstore.
How to Register
Students have four convenient methods to register:
- ONLINE - New students may register online after meeting with an advisor. Continuing students may be able to self-register without seeing an advisor, but can also meet with an advisor and register themselves through myRichland.
IN PERSON - Come to Enrollment Services and meet with an advisor (appointments available in advance or on a walk-in basis)
N130, Main Campus Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m
- BY PHONE - Call (217) 875-7200, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- BY FAX - Complete the Registration Form and fax to (217) 875-7783
When to Register
Registration for classes at Richland takes place at scheduled times before the beginning of each semester. Registration dates will be posted on the Richland Home Page approximately two to three weeks before registration begins. Students are encouraged to register early.
Richland's online course schedule is updated daily with any changes to the course schedule. The following are instructions for searching the online course schedule.
- 1. Go to: http://jics.richland.edu/ics/academics2 Navigate to the “Term” field. Use the pull-down arrow to select the correct term.
- 3. Navigate to the “Discipline” field. Use the pull-down arrow to select a specific discipline or leave this as “All.”
- 4. Navigate to the “Method” field. Use the pull-down arrow to select “Other – Online or Hybrid.”
- 5. Scroll down and click the “Search” button.
6. The course list is displayed.
- a. Online courses contain a “V” in their Course Code. (example: ACCT 101-V1 is an online course)
- b. Hybrid courses contain a “Y” in their Course Code. (example: AF AM120-Y1 is a hybrid course)
- 7. To view information about a course, click on the course code. For additional information about courses or registering for courses, please contact an academic advisor.
After Registering for Classes
Activate your student account to obtain your username (NetID) and password. This is required for you to log into myRichland, Zimbra Student e-mail, and the Canvas Learning Management System.
Student Account Activation - Students must activate their account to access online resources including myRichland, e-mail, Canvas, and electronic library databases.
How to activate your student account - screenshots & directions
Change/Reset password- Changing or resetting your password is also done through the Account Activation page.
Mandatory Online Student Orientation
All students taking courses using Canvas are required to complete the Online Student Orientation before they will have access to their course(s). For more information about the Online Student Orientation, please refer to http://www.richland.edu/online/orientation
How do I Access my Course(s)?
To access your online, hybrid, or enhanced courses, log into Canvas (richland.instructure.com) with your username (NetID) and password. Your courses will show up under the "Courses" Link at the top of your Canvas home page. (Note: If you have not ever completed the Canvas Student Orientation, your courses will not appear until this has been done.)