Public Information & Marketing
Marketing at Richland
Under the auspices of the Public Information division, the Marketing Department is the primary contact for the media. The division writes all press releases and news advisories for the College, and provides multimedia services.
The Marketing Department is also responsible for ensuring the College’s marketing materials convey a constructive and consistent brand image.
The Marketing Department has earned national and local recognition for the College with successful entries in the National Council for Marketing & Public Relations (NCMPR) and the Decatur Ad Club. The Marketing Department has twice won the coveted Gold Paragon Award from NCMPR. This award is NCMPR’s recognition of outstanding achievement in communications at community and technical colleges. It is the only national competition of its kind that exclusively honors excellence among marketing and public relation professionals at two-year colleges. Winners hail from large, multi-campus districts as well as small institutions, from large staffs with healthy budgets and from one-person shops with limited resources.
The Decatur Ad Club is an organization of the advertising community in Decatur, and hosts the annual Decagon Awards Ceremony. The Decagon Awards Ceremony is a celebration of the best and brightest creative minds in Central Illinois.
- Gold Paragon Award-Brochure for Adele P. Glenn Academy for Early Childhood Education
- Decagon-Photography of the Shilling Center
- Decagon-Adele P. Glenn Academy for Early Childhood Education brochure; Print Collateral category
- Merit Award- TV Spot (30 seconds, less than $2,000 in production) “Define Success”
- Merit Award-Photography of Richland Student Farm, “Chili Pepper Picking.”
- Merit Award-Vehicle Graphics for Biofuels Trailer
- Merit Award-Ad Campaign of Mentor Ambassador signage hanging in campus hallways
- Gold Paragon Award-Advertising for the Richland Fitness Center “We Are Here” campaign
- Decagon–“Richland Community College Annual Report” Catalogs, booklets & Annual Reports category
- Decagon-Richland Fitness Center “We Are Here” campaign; Brochures, Posters, and Flyers category
- Decagon-"Coffee House Logo”; Logos, Trademarks, and Symbols Category
- Decagon-“Scene Shop Signage”; POP, Signs, Displays, and Exhibits Category
- Decagon-James and the Giant Peach Animation”; Animation Category
- Decagon-“Discovery Theatre Promo”; Short Promotional Video or Podcast
Other Special Campaigns
In an effort to communicate internally as well as with the external staff and faculty served by Marketing, the Marketing Team has collaborated to produce process mapping flow charts. Creation of process maps allowed the entire team to establish, review, and improve what is happening daily and with annual projects, measure process efficiency, and to communicate the roles and responsibilities of the department with the College.
Usage and Style Guides
This style guide was developed to serve as a resource for those who create written and other creative materials targeted at external audiences. Use of the guide will result in more consistency of style in Richland’s publications and other communications. It is designed to provide:
- answers to commonly asked questions related to writing about Richland Community College
- key facts and information about the College, its programs, buildings, etc.,
- helpful writing style and usage guidelines based on the Associated Press Stylebook, which is used extensively by the media and by publications of many types
Working with the Media
In order to maintain consistency and accuracy, and to ensure that members of the media speak with the most appropriate person, Richland Community College requests that all media inquiries begin with Public Information
Media Relations Contacts
Lisa M. Gregory
Executive Director of Public Information
(217) 875-7211, Ext. 480
Marketing Office Location: W118A
(217) 875-7211, ext. 212
(217) 875-7211, ext. 213
The Executive Director of Public Information and Chief of Staff is an executive level position and serves as a member of the Executive Staff. This position serves as the College’s chief spokesperson responsible for the management of the President’s office and drives initiatives on behalf of the President. Identifies and manages critical issues that have a college wide impact and require the attention of the President and other senior staff. The Executive Director assists the President in coordinating Board of Trustee activities within the College, community, and district.
Contact the Office of Public Information
Lisa M. Gregory
Executive Director of Public Information and Chief of Staff