Richland is a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), and is a participant in the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, and Rating System (STARS). Richland's sustainability committee, using STARS criteria as a guide, has gathered data and information and established a baseline of sustainability efforts already in place on campus. The goal is to build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community and promote a comprehensive understanding of sustainability that includes its social, economic, and environmental dimensions - the triple bottom line.
Richland is also a member of the Illinois Green Economy Network (IGEN), which has developed the goals to:
- Collaborate to accelerate green jobs development.
- Model energy conservation and demonstrating renewable energy.
- Impact energy conservation by providing community education on energy efficiency, renewable energy, and other sustainable technologies.
- Expand to cover the entire state by including all 48 community colleges in the Network.
- Provide a national leadership role in the new energy economy.