Choosing an Academic Advisor
When seeking academic advisement, maintain consistency by seeking out the same advisor each semester. Any of the following personnel can assist students in their academic advisement:
Make an appointment in Counseling and Advisement Services within the Student Success Center. Counselors are also available on a walk-in basis. Counselors have a wide range of information about four-year school requirements, course transferability, and other academic regulations.
Full-time Faculty Members
Check office hours and make an appointment where needed. Faculty members are excellent resources for specific career and program information.
Certain Professional Staff Members and Administrators
Check office hours. Select someone you feel comfortable with and who is knowledgeable about your specific advising questions.
Associate Advisors are available to register students on a walk-in basis in the Student Success Center. The Associate Advisors are available to assist you with your course selections during registration times.
Preparing for Advisement
- Are you prepared for your appointment? It is your responsibility to think through your course selections before meeting with your counselor or advisor.
- Have you taken relevant college placement tests?
- Have you checked your progress towards your degree or certificate by obtaining a program sheet and completing it to see where you are?
- If you are transferring from another institution, have you had transcripts sent?
- Have you requested that transcripts from another institution be evaluated from the Records Office?
- Have you identified the courses you want to take?
- Have you made use of the internet system, WISE - I to view your progress?
- Are you aware of the courses that may not be offered every semester?
- Have you taken needed prerequisite courses?
- Do you know which is your catalog for graduation?
- Do you know which courses you have left to graduate?
- Are you familiar with the requirements of the college or university where you expect to transfer?